Dandelion Tattoo Meaning
With a wide world of symbolism to draw from when designing your own tattoo, there’s no reason to settle for the first design you come up with. Exploring nature is a great way to find beauty for decorating your body with, and even the humble dandelion that sprouts in unlikely places can brighten your day by becoming the inspiration for your new tattoo. Learn to appreciate this sunny little flower from a new perspective by exploring its symbolism as a tattoo.
Dandelion Tattoo Designs
Most dandelion tattoos are relatively simple because the people commissioning them want to focus on the spiritual symbolism of the flower. However, it’s also common to see a dandelion and bird tattoo where the floating seeds that blow away from the puffball transform into birds who soar away. This is a beautiful and popular design for girls, but even the toughest men can enjoy the symbol of rising above the past and reaching new heights of glory. In general, dandelion tattoo designers are separated into two categories based on whether the tattoo shows a fresh and yellow blooming flower or the iconic seed-covered puffball head that people blow on to make a wish.
What Does the Dandelion Tattoo Mean?
Each person has their own personal associations to pair with a dandelion tattoo, but there are also shared emotional and symbolic meanings that everyone can understand. Some of these common meanings include:
- Second chances, since the dandelion returns again and again in the toughest circumstances
- Thriving despite adversity and accomplishing your goals to reach happiness no matter what’s holding you back
- Sending down deep roots to connect with your past and your family’s history
- Making a wish for a brighter future for you and everyone else in the world
- Embracing happiness instead of giving in to sadness, grief, or depression
- Reconnecting with your own innocence, no matter what’s happened to you
- Reminding yourself of the importance of your spirituality, especially when life’s difficulties are distracting you.
Symbolism of Dandelions and Meaning of Tattoo Variations
Most people who are focused on bringing happiness and joy into their lives choose a yellow dandelion flower, while a blowing dandelion full of seeds tends to fall into the wish-making and innocence categories of meaning instead. For people who wish to start over in life and move away from their past mistakes, it’s common to tattoo the quote “Every breath is a second chance” along with the dandelion seed and plant. This reminds the wearer that they can always choose to make a better decision in the present rather than lapsing back into former bad behaviors. Some people also blend this kind of flower design with their favorite Japanese tattoo art to give a visual element to a design that is otherwise just kanji.
Best Tattoo Placements
Locating a dandelion tattoo should be based on the size and orientation of the art. For example, a 12-inch tall dandelion blowing seeds over a 16 inch width will naturally only fit on your back or possibly your chest. Smaller dandelions look graceful and complementary when they’re added to the wrist, foot, or shoulder. Since a beautiful dandelion is a relatively inoffensive design, there’s no need to hide it under your clothing unless your workplace requires it.
The Message Dandelion Tattoos Convey Is…
Embrace the challenges of life instead of letting them hold you back. Grow and thrive wherever your planted, even when it’s a less than ideal place to be. Remember that you can always start over and enjoy a fresh start as long as you let yourself do better in the future.
If You Wear a Dandelion Tattoo, You are Likely to Be…
People who choose dandelion tattoos often feel lost or even guilty about their pasts, or they’re dealing with a major loss and trying to move on with their life. Some dandelion wearers are relentlessly optimistic, or at least want to become that way. It’s also more common to see this tattoo on women than men, despite it being a relatively unisex design.
Reasons to Choose a Dandelion Tattoo
- You need a cheerful reminder that nothing can hold you back
- You love plants and want to share your passion for botany with anyone who sees your tattoo
- You need a little boost to achieve your goals because there are obstacles in your way
- You are trying to make a serious change in your life and want a reminder of it.